Candidate in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve
To those who do not know me, allow me to introduce myself . . .
My name is Eric-Abel Baland, and I am a cultural administrator. I have been involved in the performing arts for over 40 years, both in Europe and in Canada. Entrepreneur-manager of creative / production / broadcasting companies, I am also the manager of several foundations in Quebec and artistic agent of visual artists, designers and interpreters.
I hold degrees both in economics and cultural business management and event communication (equivalent to a DESS-HEC). Settling in Quebec in 1999, I directed internationally renowned live performance companies such as The Jean-Pierre Perreault - O'Vertigo Danse's Choreographic Space at Place des Arts, Les Ballets-Jazz de Montréal / Arion Baroque Orchestra / JP Mousseau Foundation, and, more recently, I carried out union projects with the CSN for the Quebec Association of Performing Arts Professionals and Scenographers.
At the age of 60, I continue to pass on the torch as a governance partnership consultant for non-profits, in the role of certified coach / trainer for the City of Montreal (Festivals Office), in the CPE and Maisons de Jeunes networks, at various career events and education fairs, and for Montreal leadership programs from the former Conférences Régionales des Élus.
I also volunteer extensively in arts and business circles and share my expertise on boards of directors of many organizations such as the École Supérieure de Ballets Contemporains du Québec, the Regroupement Québécois de la Danse, the Regroupement Arts et Culture Rosemont La Petite-Patrie, as well as being president of Sinha-Danse.
Coming from a working class family, I was a member of the French Socialist Party and a trade union representative for the French Confederation of Workers. In Canada, I have been very active in politics since 2011 in Montreal ridings for the federal NDP. I was also a representative on the Commission Financement and the Commission des Droits LGBTQ+ at the municipal level with Projet Montreal. I have contributed strongly to promoting the progressive values of the NDP in Quebec, as co-founder of the NPDQ Montreal Center-East regional body. I am committed to a Quebec identity that ensures a Quebec with strengthened and distinct powers. I am a feminist and work every day for individual freedoms, secularism, social justice, solidarity across generations, the promotion of the Francophonie, for access to culture for all, and especially for knowing how to live together!
Why did I choose Hochelaga-Maisonneuve?
Because my social commitments and my economic and environmental projects are the same ones that are shared by the residents of the eastern part of Montreal. I worked more than 10 years in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve. My longtime friends live there: we are close neighbors!
In the Quebec National Assembly I wish to modify laws and governmental programs:
- in education: strengthen francization and aim for a genuinely free education;
- in employment: improve support for training and vocational retraining, and work for the preservation of local jobs and against the closure of local factories;
- in transport: improve the frequency and quality of local public transport, and make it more affordable and accessible;
- in housing: fight against unnecessary and speculative gentrification, promote the development of currently insufficient social housing and enforce safe housing standards;
- in community: promote neighborhoods that are eco-responsible, safe, and that allow people to live in harmony with their neighbors;
- in culture: ensure the completion of major social and cultural projects that are being developed in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve.
These are the things that drive me and that I'm committed to!